Actually, I'm a little disappointed in Halloween. This was going to be our first Halloween as a family and Jon was really excited to dress Arianna up and take her trick or treating. We were even going to dress up (which he never does and I usually don't).
Late last week we found out that Jon would be needed elsewhere. The USS New York is being commissioned and the commitee has asked the Marines to be present with one of the Ch-53's. I am actually really excited and proud that Jon gets to be a part of this. It's a historic event and a once in a lifetime chance. As soon as he told me that they asked him to go, I encouraged it. He said he would think about it. Well, before he could make up his mind, the USMC made it for him and we were told that he would be going. We got all of his stuff together and I dropped him off at work this morning at 4am. I heard from him around noon, but he wasn't supposed to be talking on the phone so he had to let me go. I am hoping he will have a chance to call tomorrow.
The most exciting part about this is....Arianna and I get to go to New York too! Since this is such a big event, the USMC blocked off rooms at The New Yorker Hotel for military spouses at a discounted rate (a "discounted rate" in NYC is $200/night if anybody was curious). I looked at the website though and it looks like a nice place. I honestly don't care how nice it is (well as long as it's not The Roach Motel), WE'RE GOING TO NEW YORK!!!!! I am beyond excited as I've always wanted to go. We're going to leave on the 8th and drive halfway, then drive the remainder on the 9th. We'll be there until the 11th. the 10th is the Marine Corps birthday and cake cutting ceremony. So much going on and I will have a ton of pictures when we get home!
In the meantime, Arianna and I are just hanging out. She misses her daddy which is hard. She's gotten used to him coming home every night that having him not come home is confusing to her. I think she will be ok though. She knows that he's working and that we're going to see him in a few days. She is also excited about her grandma coming to visit and reminds me every day that "grandma is going to come to our new house". She's such a good girl. Tonight she helped me bake. We made Pumpkin Walnut Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting and Chocolate Brownies with Caramel, Peanut Butter, and Pecans. We're going to bring them to the Halloween party tomorrow.
Notice the KitchenAid in the background, untouched. All mixing was done by hand tonight (note: do not try to cream a cold stick of butter by hand) :)
The graham cracker crust and pecans/peanut butter chips for the brownies. Arianna mixed the butter and the crumbs for the crust.
Melting the caramel to go over the graham cracker crust
After the caramel is poured and the pecans and PB chips are scattered over the top
Making the chocolate for the brownies (before the sugar and flour are added)
The finished product! (ignore all of my test holes, they took longer to bake than the recipe suggested)
Pumpkin and walnut cookies ready to be fristed tomorrow!
Tomorrow we're going to frost the cookies and make vanilla/vanilla cupcakes! I love baking!

























No comments:
Post a Comment