Thursday, September 29, 2011

742 Days

Two weeks ago at the school's open house, I signed up for the PEA (Parent Educators Association). Last week, I got my first call for volunteer services- for the Scholastic Book Fair! I love books so I was really excited and signed up to volunteer on Tuesday. I dropped Lucy off with a good friend and got to the school around 9:00am. I wasn't scheduled to volunteer until 9:30am so I stopped by Arianna's classroom to say hi and to let her teacher know not to put her on the bus after school (since I would be there when she got out). She was SO excited to see me! I wasn't able to stay long, but I definitely want to go back soon so that I can see everything she does in the classroom. I gave her a hug before I left and as I went out the door, I heard a little boy ask her, "Why did your mom give you a hug?" She replied, "Because my mommy LOVES ME!" It melted my heart and I'm happy that she's not (yet) to the point that she's embarrassed by me hugging her <3

I started my volunteer shift at 9:30am and actually had a lot of fun. A few of the classrooms had signed up to come in so that the kids could make wish lists of all of the books they wanted to show their parents. Some of the kids had brought money with them to buy books. Watching how excited the kids got picking out their books and then paying for them by themselves was just adorable and I couldn't wait to bring Arianna (her class didn't sign up to go during the day)!

Arianna came straight to the library after school and immediately started plucking books off of the shelves and putting them in a pile. I just can't say no to books so we ended up getting them all. We actually did need some new books though as we've been reading the same ones over and over at bedtime. My shift ended, we paid for our books and went home for a few hours before heading back again for the ice cream social.

So excited to get some new books!
IMG_0655

IMG_0656

IMG_0658

IMG_0659

She has very eclectic taste in books.....
IMG_0660

IMG_0662

We were one of the first families to arrive at the ice cream social so we headed back into the book fair before it got too busy. Arianna looked at everything again before bringing me a book called Princess Party by Joy Allen. I hadn't planned on buying any more books since we had bought so many earlier in the day, but she explained that she wanted to buy it for her friend Noelani since Noelani wasn't able to come to the book fair that evening. Let me tell you, it's a great feeling when your child comes to you, with no prompting, wanting to do something for another person. We bought the book and Arianna gave it to her at school today. She came home and told me excitedly, "Noelani loves her book, mommy!" It makes me so incredibly proud that doing nice things for others brings my little girl such joy.

IMG_0666

IMG_0667

A special guest at the ice cream social!
IMG_0672

IMG_0673

IMG_0674

No comments:

Post a Comment