Friday, October 26, 2012

1135 Days/37 weeks

I have a ton of posting to catch up on and I'm going to be doing it a little bit out of order. I wanted to do Ruby's update today since today is the last pregnancy milestone we will reach before the day she is born. Today we hit 37 weeks- FULL TERM!!!!

IMG_8164

IMG_8168

Full term doesn't really mean a ton in terms of when she will actually be born, but it does mean that if she were born tomorrow she would no longer be considered a preemie and we are now good to have a homebirth attended by my midwife. It almost seems surreal that we've already come this far and that my third pregnancy is almost over with! We're all ready for the birth and Ruby's arrival (and actually have been for weeks as far as gathering supplies, washing clothes, etc), but now that the big day is almost here it seems like there are a million things that we need to do! Here's what we have done so far.....


*All of Ruby's newborn clothing and diapers as well as blankets are purchased, washed, and put away*

IMG_8169

Onesies and sleepers
IMG_8171

Dresses and outfits
IMG_8172

Diapers!
IMG_8190

IMG_8191

Wipes
IMG_8192

Custom onesies and lots of blankets
IMG_8173

Ruby's hospital bag (mine will be packed in the next week or so). I'm obviously hoping not to have to use this, but not being prepared for a transfer ended up being a huge source of stress after Lucy's birth. My midwives were all over the place shouting off items for Jon to throw in a bag for the baby and I (though I really think all of that was unnecessary and they could have been calmer about the whole thing) and it really kind of killed the atmosphere and the short bit of quiet time that I had at home with Lucy before the ambulance arrived. *If* we have to transfer again after Ruby's birth, it gives me peace of mind to know that the bag is already packed and we can enjoy the time we have at home before we have to leave.
IMG_8174

First diapers and outfit
IMG_8175

IMG_8176

*My birth space is ready*

This is the "kit" of stuff I'll have near me when I'm in labor. Fetoscope in case I want to try and listen to Ruby's heart before my midwife arrives and homeopathics and EO's for relaxation. If Ari is around and wants something to do, I think I'm going to give her my first DSLR so that she can take pictures. It would be fun to see the birth from her perspective :)
IMG_8189

My midwife's kit with birth and postpartum supplies.
IMG_8170

More supplies. Pillowcase with blankets and a heating pad to warm them for after the birth.
IMG_8193

If you walked into our bedroom, this is what you would see. Lucy was born in our bedroom on the bed. I envisioned myself birthing her on the bed and I never really pictured being in the water beyond the first stage of labor (and was actually kind of opposed to having a waterbirth). My feeling with Ruby has been a lot different. I've been a lot more open to the idea of having a waterbirth though it's probably not something that I'll decide on for sure until the day comes. I've also been very drawn to this particular corner of our bedroom. It seems very intimate and cozy and I've been finding little ways to make it my own.
IMG_8179

Like this :) The day that she's born, we'll fill in the date!
IMG_8180

IMG_8181

I'm sure it seems silly, but I forget to breathe when I'm in labor. In the past, I've coped with the pain by tensing up and holding my breath through contractions which really isn't good for me or the baby. I put this down at eye level to look at while I'm laboring in the water.
IMG_8182

Our maternity session where we announced Ruby's sex and name.
IMG_8184

Clockwise from top: Scentsy warmer will be warming a scent that I find warm and calming. Most likely Fried Ice Cream or Baked Apple Pie. One of Ruby's birth candles that we gave out at my Blessingway as well as mailed out to friends and family to light when I go into labor and burn until she's born. Notebook filled with prayers, blessings, and good thoughts for our family and the birth. Birth music soundtrack that was compiled by a friend and sent to me for Lucy's birth. Glass bowl full of beads. I've been stringing my birth necklace and some of the beads are either too heavy or don't fit on the wire (or were extras as I got multiple beads from a few people). I really didn't want to exclude any of the beads that I was given so they will remain in this bowl in the room next to Ruby's candle.
IMG_8186

IMG_8187

Extra sheets and plastic covers for the bed and new pillows!
IMG_8185

MY HOUSE IS CLEAN! 

I don't have photos of this because they would actually be quite boring to look at, but believe me, it looks amazing! I hosted an October/Halloween playdate (photos of that will be coming in another post) so the entire house got cleaned up. Knowing that Ruby will be here soon and that people will be coming into my house for the birth has kept me motivated to maintain it.

I had my Blessingway on October 20th. 

For those who do not know what a Blessingway is, it's a more mother-centered alternative to a baby shower. Since Ruby is my third baby, my third girl, and my second girl born in the month of November (most likely less than two years after my first girl born in November), a baby shower just didn't seem right. We already had 90% of the clothing that we needed left over from Lucy and what we didn't have, we either bought over time or were gifted with hand me downs from good friends. We were blessed with a ton of free and inexpensive baby gear and still had plenty of blankets and other necessities. The list of things we needed was incredibly small thanks to generous friends and my procrastination in donating all of Lucy's old stuff.

So when a dear friend asked me if I would be interested in having a baby shower, I talked to her about doing a Blessingway instead. Instead of people bringing gifts for the baby, they bring notes with prayers, blessings, and well wishes for the mother, the baby, and the birth. If the mother is planning on making a birth necklace to wear during labor, each guests is asked to bring a bead for her to include. There are a few different things you can do, but the main focus is celebrating mothers and motherhood. My Blessingway ended up being incredibly small, but I could not have asked for a more wonderful celebration. We ate delicious comfort foods (and sweets!), shared our birth stories, made onesies for Ruby, and just had some really nice conversation. A friend who I met online in 2008-2009 and who just recently moved about two hours away drove down to spend the day with me which meant a lot. A few friends who couldn't make it still sent beads with some very special meaning behind them. I didn't realize until afterwards how much I really needed something like this to calm any remaining anxiety that I've had about the birth. I left feeling very happy and supported.

Beautiful decorations!
IMG_8147

IMG_8149

IMG_8150

IMG_8151

Onesies to decorate
IMG_8152

IMG_8153

IMG_8154

We did receive a few handmade and thoughtful gifts :)
IMG_8155

Beads from Vanessa and Vivid
IMG_8156

Charm from Karoline
blessing4

Decorating onesies
IMG_8157

IMG_8158

IMG_8160

IMG_8162

Ruby's finished onesies!
blessing

blessing2

Top left: all of the gifts that we received. Bottom left: Prayer cards and letters of encouragement that I received for Lucy's birth. Right: Beads that I received for both Lucy and Ruby. Since I never got to string my birth necklace for Lucy, I'm going to use the beads this time.
blessing3

So everything is ready and here we are in the home stretch! We will be seeing my midwife weekly now until the birth and the girls are getting excited to meet their sister. I'm not sure how much Lucy really understands, but she knows what a baby is and knows that there is one growing inside of me. Both sisters love to hug and kiss my belly and talk to Ruby so I can't wait to see how she responds to their voices once she's born.

Lucy helping with prenatals
ruby2

ruby

My amazing midwife
blessing5

Yesterday, at one day shy of 37 weeks, the girls both felt their sister move for the first time. Loved this moment and the smiles on their faces!
blessing6

blessing7



Catching up on growth:
23 Weeks
23

24 Weeks
24

25 Weeks
25

26 Weeks
26

27 Weeks
27

28 Weeks
28

29 Weeks
29

31 Weeks
31

33 Weeks
33

34 Weeks
34

36 Weeks
36

Today- 37 Weeks!
37


I have a feeling that this *might* be the last Ruby update before we announce that she's arrived! We'll see what (or who!) the next couple of weeks bring :)

(Check back here on the 28th for photos of Ari's and my night at Disney on Ice: Rockin' Ever After!)

No comments:

Post a Comment