Saturday, September 18, 2010

365 Days/1 year

Jonathan and Sarah, circa 1960


Ok ok, so we didn't REALLY meet in the 60's. We actually met on March 15th, 2008 at the Southwest Nostalgia Drag Races/Bad Guys Car Show in Wittmann, AZ. I had worked from 6-10am that morning and had planned to drive out in the afternoon. By the time I got dressed, did my hair and makeup, and was ready to head out the door, I was so exhausted that I almost didn't go. Good thing I did because Jon was only in town for the day! He was stationed at in California at the time and had driven out to participate in the drags.

Jon is actually in this picture. Can you find him?


Jon on the day that I met him.


We actually didn't talk very much the day that we met beyond being introduced by mutual friends. Since he was participating in the races there wasn't much time for us to get to know one another. I ended up contacting him on Myspace about a week later because I had some pictures of him and his car from the race that I wanted to give him. I also MIGHT have wanted to get to know him better......

Myspace comments turned into e-mails and e-mails turned into phone conversations and eventually we started to talk every day. I looked forward to hearing from him and was excited when he told me he would be making another trip out to Arizona shortly. He was coming out mainly so that he could drive with the rest of our friends out to Viva Las Vegas 11, but we were able to spend some time together before he left and after he returned.

One of our first pictures together before he went back to CA after VLV.


His next trip was in early May 2008. He took me to Ruth's Chris Steak House on our first official date. I also got to meet his parents and some of his friends from high school. He was scheduled to head back to CA on the May 4th, a day before his 21st birthday. I thought it would be nice to plan him a surprise birthday party with all of our friends. I'm not going to tell that entire story here (those who were there probably remember), but if you're interested just ask Jon why I'll never plan him another surprise party again ;)

The night of our first date




Jon traveled back and forth from CA to AZ several more times throughout the summer since he was only about six hours away. It was important for him to spend as much time at home as he could because he had gotten new orders that would send him out to North Carolina and it wouldn't be as easy to come home once he was out there.

End of May- Memorial Day Hot Rod Breakfast


Memorial Day BBQ

June- Rick's summer kickoff party


Home for a day for a work related trip


July- 4th of July swimming party


Taking me shooting for the first time


August- On leave right before he moved to NC


Family picture we had taken before he left


At the Rhythm Room


August was a big transition for us since we knew that we wouldn't be able to see each other nearly as much as we had gotten used to. At the same time, it was good for us because separation is definitely a part of being a military couple and if our relationship was going to survive, we were going to have to get used to it. As it turns out, we still saw each other pretty "frequently" (for a long distance relationship). Jon got out to NC at the very end of August and I flew out in November to attend the Marine Corps ball with him.

2008 Marine Corps Ball




Jon was back home again for two weeks in December for Christmas. This was probably his best trip home. We spent Christmas Eve with his family and then both of our families got together at his parents' house for breakfast on Christmas morning. Our parents got to meet each other for the first time and I got to meet all of his extended family. Christmas evening we to our friend Kate's house to celebrate our friend Brian's birthday. Jon and I had already exchanged Christmas gifts, but he still had one more surprise waiting for me which he gave me right as we were getting ready to leave Kate's house......

Engaged!


Engagement picture


He wasn't able to stay for New Years Eve, but had left me with the best Christmas gift ever- the promise of a future with him! I was very excited and got to work planning our wedding. We talked about dates and finally decided on September 18th, 2009. I got to see him twice before then. Once in April when he took leave for my birthday and Viva Las Vegas and once in July for a friend's wedding.
VLV 12


July 2009


After that was the home stretch! When Jon left in July, I knew that I wouldn't see him again until September and that the next time he left, Arianna and I would be going with him. It was a crazy thought and I couldn't wait for September to come!

Jon came in about a week before our wedding and we spent the week taking care of last minute details, packing, and just anticipating the big day. We had our rehearsal and rehearsal dinner on the 17th which was a beautiful prelude to the wedding itself. We had a delicious lasagna dinner at Jon's parents' house with our families and wedding party.

At our rehearsal dinner




I woke up at 6am on the 18th and couldn't fall back asleep. Everything leading up to the time that I arrived at the church seems like a blur. I was just so thrilled that this day had finally come! I got to the church around noon and my hair and makeup girls showed up around 1pm. That's when the real fun started!

Getting ready










Jon and I had made a mutual decision not to see each other before the ceremony. I just wanted that special moment where the doors of the church would open and we would see each other for the first time. We did pictures separately with our families and our wedding attendants. Jon got to mingle with the crowd while I hid in the bridal room so he can probably tell you more of what went on before the ceremony started than I can!









The ceremony was short and perfect. We were married by Bob Wade who is not only a pastor at our church in AZ, but a long time friend of Jon's family.We said our vows, exchanged our rings, and lit a unity candle. I thought I would be nervous saying my vows in front of a crowd, but when my turn came, I felt so certain and confident. I always thought I would cry on my wedding day, but I couldn't stop smiling. I also couldn't stop thinking about how good Jon's hair looked and wondered where he got it cut. I know, I know. The things that run through your head when you're getting married.....before I knew it, we were being announced as husband and wife! We made it! We were finally married!











First dance to Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers


Dinner


Cake time!




The garter


Last dance of the evening


Surrounded by loved ones at the end of a perfect day


Officially Mrs. Bush


We spent the two nights after our wedding at The Fairmont Scottsdale and left for our honeymoon in Laguna Niguel on the 20th. Jon had been in charge of planning our honeymoon and I have to say, he did an outstanding job! He booked us two nights in an ocean view room at The Ritz Carlton. The scenery was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and we had an amazing time.







We headed back to AZ after a relaxing few days and got right to work packing up and getting ready for our big move. It took us four days, but we all made it to North Carolina in one piece. I fell in love with our house as soon as I saw it and couldn't wait to make it a home.



In November, Jon was given the opportunity to go out to New York City to participate in the commissioning of the USS New York. Since New York was within a reasonable driving distance, Arianna and I went out to meet him after he was done with all of the ceremony stuff. A week after we all returned from NYC, my mom came out to visit us and take care of Arianna while Jon and I attended our second Marine Corps ball together.

NYC in Central Park


2009 Marine Corps Ball






That December, we celebrated our first Christmas as a real family together. I couldn't believe how happy I was and how perfect things were. We had our own house in a wonderful neighborhood and a sparkling Christmas tree in the window. I don't think I had ever felt so happy and content with my life as I did that Christmas.





New Years Eve


2009 was a great year and I really wasn't sure how we were going to top it. Little did I know what 2010 had in store for us! In January, Jon re-enlisted for four more years in the Marine Corps. This was a huge family decision as we had previously talked about him getting out and going back to Arizona. As much as we both wanted that, we felt that it was best to wait it out a little bit longer. Not long after he re-enlisted, Jon got orders to a new squadron in Virginia and was ordered to report in March. We found a townhouse, packed up again, and made another move to another new place.



We got another nice surprise the day we left North Carolina


We spent Easter 2010 in VA


Family vacation in May where Jon celebrated his 23rd birthday


Found out in July that Baby Bush #2 is a......




Decided in August that her name will be.....


And that brings us up to date! Living in Virginia with our beautiful three year old daughter, eagerly anticipating the arrival of our second daughter, and celebrating one year of marriage. I used to be the person who didn't believe that love could change everything (or anything, really). My husband came into my life and proved me wrong. On March 15th, 2008 my life changed forever and it just keep getting better. I cannot wait to see what blessings our second year of marriage brings us!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, JON BUSH! I LOVE YOU!

09/18/2010



No comments:

Post a Comment