Sunday, November 21, 2010

429 Days/38w6d

Over the next few days I'm going to be posting all of the recipes that I will be using for Thanksgiving this year. One of the things on my list was homemade butter. I wasn't going to do this until Wednesday, but I was really eager to try it out because it's so easy and I'll already have plenty of other things to do on Wednesday. I figured this would be an easy one to get out of the way early.

Butter-
Ingredients/supplies:
1 quart pasteurized good tasting organic heavy cream (no stabilizers, no fillers, not ultra-pasteurized)

Stand or hand mixer (stand is much easier, but a hand mixer will work if that's all you have. Either one has got to be better than a butter churn!)

Sieve and a bowl

IMG_7327

You want it as pure and free of fillers as possible
IMG_7328

IMG_7331

I didn't put the sieve in a bowl because I didn't want to save the buttermilk. I did put a folded cheesecloth over the sieve though just to put another layer between the sieve and the sink.
IMG_7334

1. Put the cream in mixing bowl with whisk attachment.

IMG_7335

2.Beat the cream at the highest speed until splashes of liquid start hitting the plastic and you can see solid pieces of butter.

IMG_7337

If your mixer has a splash guard, you definitely want to use it and possibly a towel (as shown above) as well. The cream will splatter a lot until it starts to thicken up
IMG_7341

After about 3-4 minutes, the liquid cream will thicken to whipped cream consistency.
IMG_7339

Another two minutes or so and it will start to turn yellow and appear curdled.
IMG_7342

You will know the butter is finished when you see liquid appear again. This means that the buttermilk has separated from the solids.
IMG_7344

3. Set a sieve over a bowl and pour the contents of the bowl into it. Gently knead the butter to release all of its liquid (about 3 minutes).

I used the cheesecloth to help me knead the rest of the liquid out of the butter
IMG_7345

Finished product!
IMG_7346

IMG_7348

Work kosher salt into the butter if you like (I didn't do this, but I would start with about 1/2 teaspoon and go from there). Freeze or refrigerate it up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment